MindCORE (Mind Center for Outreach, Research, and Education) seeks to recruit outstanding postdoctoral researchers for our Postdoctoral Fellowship. Housed within the School of Arts & Sciences of the University of Pennsylvania, MindCORE is an interdisciplinary effort to understand human intelligence and behavior.
Designed for individuals who have recently obtained a PhD degree in neuroscience, psychology, linguistics, philosophy, computer science, or other cognitive science discipline, the MindCORE Fellowship is a springboard for early researchers as they establish their own research program. Fellows are expected to pursue collaborative relationships with faculty working across disciplines at Penn. These collaborations may take different forms from engaging in research projects with multiple faculty independently, to generating new collaborative research that brings multiple faculty together, to contributing to interdisciplinary discussion and reading groups. Find a list of current and former MindCORE Fellows here. MindCORE awards ~2 postdoctoral Fellowships per year. Positions may start as early as July 1, 2023.
Fellows receive a competitive salary, relocation allowance, health insurance, plus a $20,000 research budget. Fellows also benefit from access to the greater community of academics including visiting scholars plus leading research facilities equipped with cutting-edge instrumentation all on an urban campus in a vibrant city. Fellows are invited to join regular working group meetings within their field plus career development workshops aimed at young researchers, and will be provided with a mentoring committee. Funding is provided in one-year terms renewable for up to three years. This is campus-based (not remote) position.
Eligibility & Application
- Applicants must have formally completed all requirements of the PhD degree and provide a copy of their diploma at the time of appointment. Penn has a five-year term limit for postdocs, so candidates ideally have 0-2 years of previous postdoc time.
- Candidates must submit 1-2 page research statement that identifies at least three MindCORE faculty at Penn (https://mindcore.sas.upenn.edu/people/faculty-and-associates/) with whom the applicant would be interested in collaborating, along with a CV, contact information for two referees, and a cover letter addressing the applicant’s strengths with respect to the selection criteria below. Note that to evaluate potential to lead within a diverse community at Penn, we consider past experiences, activities, and future plans to support diversity, equity, and inclusion. Applicants should be mindful of the interdisciplinary backgrounds of the reviewers and make the proposals clear to readers.
- Application documents should be saved with candidate’s Lastname_Firstname.pdf in one PDF file in this order: cover letter, research statement, CV, referees (name, affiliation, email address). Complete applications should be submitted through the form on our website: https://web.sas.upenn.edu/mindcore/post-doctoral-research-fellowship/. Questions not answered on our FAQ (https://bpb-us-w2.wpmucdn.com/web.sas.upenn.edu/dist/b/398/files/2023/10/MindCORE-Postdoc-Fellows-FAQ-FY24.pdf), can be emailed to
- Applications due December 3, 2023.
All eligible and complete applications will be evaluated by the Selection Committee and are judged on the following criteria:
- Scientific excellence
- Potential to contribute to or lead within diverse community
- Scientific match and interdisciplinarity
- Career potential
More information: https://mindcore.sas.upenn.edu/post-doctoral-research-fellowship/